ACOM Education Authority is the governing body looking after the welfare of all ACOM-run schools in the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
Due to legal requirements for running the schools under the Education Act of these two sovereign states. The Solomon Islands has its own Education Board with all members of the board from the Solomon Islands. On that same, Vanuatu has its own Education Board with all members from Vanuatu.
The primary role of the two Education Board is to oversee Primary, Secondary, Vocational Training, and Tertiary education institutions within ACOM, and to ensure that the Christian aims of the Church are promoted both within each education institution and throughout the Province and that a sound balance of scholarship, industry, sport, and culture is maintained at each education institution.
The two boards are accountable to the General Synod of the church and shall make a report on its work at each meeting of the General Synod.
The board members are elected by the General synod therefore each member can serve up to four years before the next general synod, but they can be eligible for re-election.
The Education Secretary of these two boards are the Education Secretaries of these Boards but the Education Secretary may appoint someone to attend meetings of the Board and to record the Minutes.
The Board shall meet at least twice every year but may meet more frequently should the need arise and should the Management Board decide.
According to the Canon and Constitution of the Church, the respective Boards inline with the Education Acts of Solomon Islands and Vanuatu have the following functions:
- to advise the Anglican Church of Melanesia on all matters concerning the development and operation of the education system in the Church in the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu;
- to formulate and propose to the General Synod or Management Board (as may be appropriate) education policy for the Anglican Church of Melanesia in the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu;
- to advise the Anglican Church of Melanesia on matters concerning the financing of education policy and training awards within the Church in Solomon Islands and Vanuatu;
- to consider and decide upon all applications from the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu for pre-service or in-service training;
- to supervise the progress of all persons from the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu engaged in pre-service or in-service training courses and those holding scholarships;
- to fulfill all the requirements of an Education Authority required by the Education Act of the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
ACOM Education Department (Solomon Islands)
Dr. James Memua
ACOM Education Department (Vanuatu)