BEFORE the Diocese of Central Solomon (DOCS) was inaugurated on 4th May 1997, she was part of the mother Diocese of Central Melanesia of the Anglican Church of Melanesia, from which other dioceses were also previously created.
The first Diocesan Bishop was right Reverend Charles Koete who was consecrated and installed at the Christ the King Cathedral at Tulagi, Florida Island in the Central Islands Province, at the time of the inauguration in 1997.
The Diocesan Bishop Charles Koete called the first Diocesan Synod on the 5th May 1997 purposely to adapt the canons and constitutions of the diocese. The Synod was convened in the Christ the King Cathedral. The delegates were mostly the active clergy and lay representatives from Gela,Savo,Guadalcanal and Rennell and Bellona islands which made up the population and the land and sea boundaries of the diocese.However,from Kesao River in the west to the Balasuna River in the east and the ridges of mountains inland of Honiara,were not part f the Diocese of Central Solomons because they were in the boundries of the Diocese of Central Melanesia,which is located in and around Honiara on Gudalcanal Islands.Bishop Charles Koete resigned in 2010 from the episcopal office in the church in the diocese and later called to rest on 24th October 2012.
The second Chapter in the life of this diocese began on the 20th February 2011 when the second bishop,Rt Rev Ben Seka was consecrated and installed at the Christ the King Cathedral,Tulagi,Florider, Central Islands Province.
The second Diocese Bishop was responsible to chair his first Diocesan Synod which was the sixth Diosesan Synod and was held at Veranaso in the home of the community of the Sisters of the Melanesia on Guadalcanal,from 11th to 15th July 2011.At that point in time,the total population of the Diocese of Central Solomons was 39,309.During this Synod,one of the wish discussed was the need to help facilitate the inauguration of the new Diocese of Guadalcanal.The Coordinator,Fr,Chris Sam,to spearhead the establishment of the new diocese was later appointed.
On the 23rd June 2013,the Diocese of Central Solomons was divided ,as mandated by one of the General Synod of the Anglican Church Melanesia.The islands of Gela and Savo remain the Diocese of Central Solomons.The New Diocese of Guadalcanal was inaugurated and the islands of Rennel and Bellona became part of the Diocese of Central Melanesia on the same date.The population of the Diocese of Central Solomons was subsequently reduced to 17,664 but the church in the diocese remains faithful to God and the Anglican Church of Melanesia.
Mr. David Manetiva
Information provided by Bishop Ben Seka
The Diocese of Malaita (DOM) was formed (along with the other original Dioceses: Diocese of Central Melanesia, Diocese of Ysabel and the Diocese of Vanuatu) in January 1975.
The first Diocesan Bishop and other Bishops:
The first Diocesan Bishop was Rt Rev. Leonard Alufurai (1975 -1981).
The second Diocesan Bishop was Rt Rev.Willie Alaha Pwaisiho (1982-1989)
The third Diocesan Bishop was Rt Rev. Raymond Aumae (1990-1994)
The Fourth Diocesan Bishop was Rt Rev. Dr Terry Brown (1995 -2008)
The current Diocesan Bishop is Rt Rev. Sam Sahu (1st November 2008)
The first Assistant Bishop of Malaita looking after the Southern regions of Malaita is The Rt. Rev. Alfred Hou.
The current Assistant Bishop is The Rt. Rev. Rickson George Maomaoru who was consecrated on the 22nd of October 2017 at Fiu Cathedral.
Number of Regions, Parishes and active Parish Priests:
There are six (6) Regions, namely Central Region, Keava Region, Northern Region, Small Malaita Region, Arekwa Region and Eastern Region.
There are 46 Parishes in the whole diocese, with 66 active Priests currently serving in Parishes and Institutions.
DOM Vision 2020:
Since 2010 the Diocese is guaided and driven by DOM Vision 2020 with six priority areas namely; (1) Making DISCIPLES for King Jesus and his Church in Malaita (2) Making ethical and servant LEADERS for the Church and the rest of Malaita society (3) Making MONEY to develop local communities and to support the mission of the Diocese (4) Developing HOUSING Infrastructure at the Diocesan and Regional Headquarters (5) Strengthening EDUCATION and TRAINING within the Diocese, and (6) Strengthening MEDICAL and HEALTH CARE within the Diocese.
Under DOM Vision 2020, the Diocese is committed to growing and building up an Anglican Church of the 21st century which holds together in Christ the Evangelical, Catholic and Charismatic traditions of the Gospel and the Church.
The Diocesan Bishop
Rt. Rev. Sam Sahu
Mobile: +677 7458686
The Assistant Bishop
Rt. Rev. Rickson George Maomaoru
The Diocesan Secretary
Mr Anthony Maelasi
The Diocesan Treasurer
Mr David Kabulanga
Mobile: +677 7550576
The Diocesan Mission Secretary
Mr. Lesllie Filiomea
Brief information about the Diocese of Temotu will be posted once received.
The Diocese of Banks and Torres was inaugurated on the 12th of May 1996. The First Bishop then was Right Reverent Charles W. Ling followed by the Right Reverend Nathan Tome who became the Bishop of the diocese on the 24th May 2001. Then the third Bishop who was consecrated on the 2nd day of March 2014 was Right Reverend Patteson Alfred Worek.
The Diocese of Banks and Torres is one of the very unique dioceses in the history of the Anglican Church of Melanesia. It was from this diocese that the first indigenous Melanesia was ordained into priest hood. The first Christian village was established at Veverau on Mota Island, and the first Holy Communion was celebrated on its shore by Bishop John Coleridge Patteson. Mota language from this Diocese was used to Christianize Melanesians.
The Diocese of Banks and Torres is made up of thirteen islands structured with three regions and 16 districts
Mr. Stanley Womack
Phone: (678) 38533
Fr. Benjamin Gislapwos
The Right Rev. Sam Sahu
Ph: +677 40144
THE Diocese of Hanuato’o (DOH) was inaugrated at St. George Church now renamed as St. Peters Cathedral, Kirakira on 29th day of June 1991, at the feast of St. Peters.
The first Diocesan Bishop was the Rt. Rev. James Philip Mason. The second Bishop was the Rt. Rev. Jonnie Kuper and then, the current Diocesan Bishop is the third, the Rt. Rev. Alfred Karibongi.
There are no Regions setups in the Diocese of Hanuato’o (DOH) as in other dioceses, except for Parishes.
The diocese has15 Parishes and 32 active clergies currently serving the Diocese.
The Diocesan Headquarter is in Kirakira, Makira Ulawa Province.
Should you wish to contact the diocese; do not hesitate to contact:
The Diocesan Bishop
The Rt. Rev. Alfred Karibongi
Phone: +677 50012, Fax: +677 50078
Mobile: +677 7473816Â
The Diocesan Secretary
Mr. Silas WagatoraÂ
Phone/Fax: +677 50078Â
Mobile: +677 7455351
The Vicar General
Rev. Albert Manira,
Phone: +677 50264, Fax: +677 50078
Mobile: +677 7767718
The Diocesan Mission Secretary
Rev. Clayton MahaÂ
Phone: +677 50264, Fax: +677 50078Â
Mobile: +677 7455377
Information provided by Mr. Silas Wagatora, Diocesan Secretary-DOH
THE Community of the Sisters of Melanesia (CSM) was formed in November 1980 by Nester Tiboe and three other young women of Melanesia. The Community was formed as Nester realizes the need for young women to also go out and spread the Good News about Our Lord Jesus Christ.
The mission began on the 17th of November 1980, when the second Archbishop of Melanesia the Most Rev’d Norman Kitchener Palmer Commissioned four women who made their promises of poverty, Celibacy and Obedience to serve in the community.
The aim of the community is to offer young women in Melanesia an opportunity of training and mission, so that they may serve Christ in the church and society where they live. Not only that, but to provide pastoral care for women and teenage children and uphold the Christian principles of family life.
With the expansion of the community, they now have house holds in the Diocese of Malaita (Joe Wate houseHold, Waihi Parish); Diocese of Guadalcanal (Marau Missionary Household; NAT Household) and (Sir Ellison Pogo household) in the Diocese of Central Melanesia.
Veranaso, located some kilometers west of Honiara is the Head Quarter often called the training ground for the community.
The supporters of the community are called the Associates.
The Most Reverend George Takeli, Archbishop of Melanesia is currently the Bishop Visitor of the community.
Sister Anny Alaha from South Malaita is currently the Head Sister of the community.
Head Sister – Sr. Anny Alaha
Phone: (677) 24035
Sir Ellison Household, Honiara
There are three different paths, or 'Orders' within the Society, paths which were founded by Francis himself in the thirteenth century, although our particular expression of the Franciscan life within the Anglican Communion goes back only to the early twentieth century.
The First Order consists of brothers (Society of St Francis - SSF) and sisters (Community of St Francis - CSF) who make vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, live together in community, pray together, and undertake active work of many kinds. There are SSF brothers in Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, South Korea, the UK, and the USA; and CSF sisters in the UK, the USA, and South Korea.
The Second Order (Community of St Clare - OSC) consists of sisters who make the same vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, and live together in community, but whose work is focussed on prayer and contemplation, and on work within the convent. OSC sisters live in Oxfordshire, England.
The Third Order consists of women and men who commit themselves to live out their Franciscan vocation in the world. Their profession vow is fleshed out in an individual Rule of Life, to which they make an annual commitment. They live in their own homes, may be married or single, and continue to support themselves financially, while meeting regularly for mutual support in local groups.
In the Province of Melanesia, Society of Saint Francis (SSF) was established in year 1970 by: Br. Daniel, Br. Michael Davis, Br. Allan Banabas, Br. Kabay and Br. Gerard. Saint Agnes rest house was first used as their headquarter.
Today, the society has reached out to other dioceses within the Province.
The Brothers share common life of prayer, fraternity and a commitment to issues of justice, peace and the accommodation for short-term guest. They also engaged in a variety of ministries, chaplaincies caring, counseling.
Becoming a Brother in the society; one has to undergo three (3) years as Novice and another three (3) years in simple profession. After that, one can apply for life vow that has to be approved by a chapter.
Rt. Rev. Alfred Karibongi is currently the Bishop Protector of the Society.
The training house of the society is in Hautabu; often called La Verna Friary/Little Portion situated West of Guadalcanal.
Should you wish to know more about or suport the society, do contact:
P O Box 519
Telephone (677) 22386
Tel & Fax: (677) 25810
Information provided by: SSF OFFICE, Patteson House, Honiara
THE desire to train Melanesians to lead their own people towards the Christian faith saw the establishment of a theological school now known as Bishop Patteson Theological College. It was through his visionary and mission strategy for Melanesian that Bishop Augustus Selwyn, first bishop of New Zealand, established the school.
The College is rightly so named after Bishop John Coleridge Patteson who became the first missionary bishop to Melanesia where he laid down his life as a martyr of Melanesia on the tiny Island of Nukapu in Temotu Province in 1871.The College was first established in a suburb of Auckland in New Zealand called Kohimarama.
The school proved to be unsuitable for the Melanesian as it was too cold for them and far away a place from home. This led Bishop Patteson to acquire land at Mission Bay to relocate the school. That move was also found to be unfavorable for the Melanesian. And so in 1867 the school was moved to Norfolk Island.For the Melanesians this was the famous St.Barnabas School as it was called. Many Melanesians attended this School and returned to the islands either as ordained priests or catechists. They joined those who were trained earlier to evangelize and to minister to their own folks.
In 1916, Bishop Cecil Wood, another missionary bishop to Melanesia, decided to move the School to the British Solomon Islands Protectorate. It was then re-sited at Maravovo on Guadalcanal. The Journey continued and in 1920 it was relocated to Siota on the Islands of Gela in the Central Islands Province. In 1935 it was further relocated at Maka in South Malaita.From there it was further moved to Taroaniara, another site on Gela. Here it was called St. Andrew’s Catechist and St Peter’s college. It was established there from 1939-1946.The school moved to Siota again in 1947 and it’s been called St.Peter’s College. The final journey to its present site came in 1970 when Bishop John Wallace Chisholm, later to be first Archbishop of the Province of the Church of Melanesia, decided to move it to its present site on the main island of Guadalcanal.
Situated on a hill approximately 25km West of Honiara and 1km inland, the present site is again called Kohimarama. With a journey of many decades, Bishop Patteson Theological College now stands to the glory of God, serving the Anglican Church of Melanesian and the United Church of Solomon Islands. BPTC continues to be a place where men and women are trained for Ministry.
Information provided by: Mr. Hansford T.College Secretary
The Community of the Sisters of the Church (CSC) Worldwide was founded by Emily Ayckbowm in 1870. The community consists of lay and ordained women within the Anglican Communion.
Later in around 1900s, the Province of Melanesia sees it fit for the community to be established in the Province. In 1969 on the Christmas Eve three (3) Sisters namely; Sr. Berol (England), Sr. Helen (Canada) and Sr. Frances (Australia) arrived by ship following invitation from the first Archbishop of Melanesia. The work of the community began in 1970 in Melanesia which was later established a province of its own in 2001.
The members of the community are to be faithful to the gospel values of Poverty Life in their mission and ministry.
The community’s patron is St Michael and the Angels held on the 29th of September.
The Eucharist and Divine Office (usually fourfold) are the heart of the Community life.
The community currently has households in: the Diocese of Ysabel (DOY), Diocese of Hanuato’o (DOH), Diocese of Malaita (DOM), Diocese of Temotu (DOT) and in the Diocese of Central Melanesia and the Diocese of Guadalcanal.
The Bishop Visitor of the community is the Senior Bishop of the Church, the Rt. Rev. Nathan Tome – Bishop of Guadalcanal.
More about the community do contact:
Rev. Sr. Veronica Vasethe - Provincial Sister
Sr. Emily Mary – Assistant Provincial
P O Box 510
Phone: (677) 22413/ 27582
Information provided by: Sr. Phyllis Sau